Name & surname: Dr Rokhaya Samba
Title: Director of Mining Prospecting and Promotion
- 19–23 May 2014: Corporate Social responsibility strategy and management: creating value through collaborative sustainable development. McGill University and Institute for the Study of International Development — Dakar, Senegal
- 12–16 May 2014: International Practices for Negotiating and Drafting Mining Contracts — International Senior Lawyers Project (ISLP) Dakar — Senegal
- 3–14 September, 2012: African Institute for Economic Development and Planning — Course on Mineral Policy and Contract Negotiations — Certificate of competency — graduated with high honours
- April 23–May 11, 2012: International Visitor Leadership Programme on “Mining, Transparency and Responsibility in the US”. United States Department of State, Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs — Certificate of participation
- June–September, 2011: Education and Training International/Curtin University, Australia — Short course Award 2011 for Mining Resources: Regulation and Management
- 2010–April 2011: Université Polytechnique Ouest Africain (UPOA) — Dakar, Senegal — Executive MBA in Advanced Finance and Management
- January–June 2005: Ecole Supérieure des Mines de Paris – France — Diploma of Specialized Studies in Public Administration of Mines
- From 1994–1998 — Department of Geology, Fculty of Science and Technology — University Cheikh Anta Diop of Dakar, Senegal — Dr-engineer in Applied Geology
- From 1986–1993 — Institute of Earth Sciences — University Cheikh Anta Diop of Dakar, Senegal — Engineering Geologist Degree
- April 2015–present: Director of Prospecting and Mining Promotion
- April 2010–April 2015: Chief of the Mineral Documentation and Mining Cadastre Centre, Directorate of Mines and Geology, Senegal. I have coordinated the diagnosis of the legal and institutional framework of the Senegalese mining sector, granted by the World Bank Group
- September 2007–April 2010: Chief of the Division of Mines and Quarries –Directorate of Mines and Geology
- 2002–2007: Head of Survey — Regional Survey of Mines and Geology of Dakar
- 2000–2002: Engineer geologist – Division of Geology and Prospecting — Directorate of Mines and Geology
- 1994: Trainer and language tester at the American Peace Corps Training Centre of Thiès, Senegal
- 1999–2000: Independent Consultant: As such I worked with:
- The desk office of Agricultural Sciences et Techniques (STA)
- The Ecological Survey Centre for the Management of Natural Resources (CSE)
- Institute of Earth Sciences Geologist Association
- Senegalese Women Geoscientist Association
- Geological Society of Senegal
- Senegalese Association for the Leadership of Women in Agriculture and Environment (ASELFAE)
- Australia Awards Alumni Network
- International Visitors Leadership Programme (IVLP)
- Senegal — Australia Alumni Awards Association (SEN3A), Women In Mining — Senegal (WIM — SENEGAL).
I was recruited in November 2000 as geologist in the Senegalese mining administration.
Before my current position as Director of Mining Prospecting and Promotion since 2015, I was Head of the Documentation Centre and Mining Cadastre of the Directorate of Mines and Geology (DMG), Head of the Mines and Quarries Division, Head of the Regional Department of Mines and Geology in Dakar. I coordinated the Africa–Europe Georesources Observation Project (AEGOS), the Institutional Diagnostic Programme of the Ministry of Mines and the Diagnosis of the Legal and Tax Framework of the Mining Sector.
In my current position, I contribute to the implementation of the mining exploration policy. In particular, I am involved in updating the geological infrastructure and geological and mining documentation, in elaborating and implementing the mining promotion policy and in overseeing the publication of documents and geological maps. I am in charge of organizing the bi-annual Senegalese International Mining Exhibition and conference (SIM SENEGAL) and participate in all the international conferences and exhibitions for the promotion of the mining sector.
In this position, I chair the Organization of African Geological Surveys (OAGS) from 2020–2021 and the Executive Committee of the Intergovernmental Forum on Mining, Minerals, Metals and Sustainable Development (IGF: https://www.igfmining.org/about/executive-committee/